Wednesday, January 6, 2010

GB Fish & Chips

Checking out the new GB Fish & Chips on Sheridan Avenue I was impressed by the great view of Sloans Lake and the CIty. It looks like a promising patio spot for afternoon drinks in the summer. The decor is nothing to write about and it is quite small inside making it hard to find somewhere to sit down if you have more than two people in your party. It seems more like a bar with its table top sitting areas, TVs and community style tables than somewhere to eat. The smell of the fryer soon reminded me of why I was here and I placed my order at the register and waited for my name to be called.

Buying a Boddingtons to go with my fish & chips was the obvious choice and a good beer to serve. Pouring it in a plastic cup however is a big negative and not how I like to drink my English beer.
Once they called my name I went to pick up my order of the full Cod meal of Fish & Chips with Crisps. When the man behind the counter handed me a bag of crisps to go with my cod I thought I heard a needle scratch on a record. Why would you serve a bag of chips when you have fryers back there cooking everything else on the menu including the fires? Especially for the same price as the fries? "No thanks, I'll take the Chips." I told him. What good is going somewhere to eat when the food is already wrapped in a bag and probably old?

Once I got in to my cod I found them nothing to rave about. They were average and sometimes chewy. There's nothing worse than chewing on fish. I tried them with the tartar sauce and it did not help matters, especially the chewy part. Splashing some malt vinegar on them at least let me temporarily imagine I was back in England for a moment.
The Chips (fries) were a big disappointment also. When I say big, I mean they were huge wedges that were mushy and not very appealing unless you were two years old. A taste of the Coleslaw gave me a gib surprise. By far the best thing I've tried so far and actually tastes good. It was not too creamy and had a fresh taste to it. Unfortunately you can't eat an entire meal of coleslaw and beer unless you live in the south.

I would say the food was a big disappointment and the only reason you would find me back there would be to have a beer and sit on the patio. Perhaps the South Broadway location serves better food but this one has a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment