Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Corn Dogs



I know this seems like a strange topic to talk about but I have to share my experience at a recent outing. I was at the National Western Stock Show spending the day amongst the fine animals of the show and came upon the carnival like section outside where the bulk of the food concessions are. Amongst the signs surrounded by flashing bulbs was corndogs. I'm not one to usually run to these kind of roach coach trailers at fairs but occasionally I make an exception.
The corndogs here was a great example of tasting an original concept that has mutated throughout the years and what you find in most places now resemble a weak tasteless version of the original. This was a foot long dog on a stick, dipped in corn batter and deep fried to its golden brown finish. The outer corn batter was delicious and flakey and reminiscent of good corn bread. Not much you can say for a hot dog besides it is what it is.
What really struck me is how different this was compared to what you might get anywhere else besides a fair like setting. We've seen the type you can microwave from the supermarket. You may have ordered one from a restaurant off the kids menu that was been baked in an oven or even deep fried from a frozen state of cryogenic suspension. But when was the last time you had a corn dog freshly dipped in batter and deep fried? Its been long enough for me to be completely surprised when I ate this one.
I guess the lesson here is even circus type fair food can be a good treat if its made correctly, even for a food snob.

No comments:

Post a Comment